What steps have been taken to approve the Line 3 project?
The Line 3 Replacement Project continues to go through an extensive review process that has already taken more than four years. The review process was created to make sure the project is safe, necessary, and beneficial for Minnesota. This process has included:
- Support from both the Obama and Trump administrations;
- 65 public meetings about the project;
- Support by two Administrative Law Judges;
- Unanimous approval by the Minnesota Public Utilities commission;
- Over 10,000 signatures on a letter of support delivered to Governor Walz;
- Resolutions passed or letters of support submitted by 90 elected officials, cities, townships & counties;
- Public comments delivered by State, Federal & Local officials (38 in support and 3 in opposition);
- The most extensive Environmental Impact Study in Minnesota history related to pipeline projects;
- An agreement reached with the Fond du Lac Band for the replacement pipeline to cross the only Native American reservation on the route;
- Between 2013-2015, Enbridge logged 242,125 field hours – equivalent to 27 years of study surveying wetlands and waterbodies, cultural resources, and threatened/endangered species, as well as countless consultations between federal and state agencies, landowners, and local units of government.
- There have been 5,400 contacts with private landowners in 2017; Enbridge now has 99% landowner agreement with only 2 holdouts.
Line 3 has been the most planned and studied pipeline project in Minnesota’s history. What is even more clear through the process is that it’s time to build Line 3.
The Truth about Line 3
With so much information being shared and gathered about the Line 3 replacement project, it’s important to help everyone stay focused on the facts, address any misconceptions, and make sure that information about Line 3 is grounded in truth.
Minnesotans for Line 3 has identified some common questions about the project along with information, facts, and other background that answer those important questions.