How important is Line 3 to Minnesota’s economy?
Line 3 is an integral part of Enbridge’s mainline system. It helps ensure that Minnesota and the surrounding region are connected to a secure and reliable supply of North American crude oil. Line 3 is already an important part of Minnesota’s economy at the state, county, and local community level. In 2018, Enbridge paid over $30M in property taxes to the State of Minnesota; since 2015, contributed over $3M in community investments through their Ecofootprint Grant program; has over 350 Minnesota-based permanent and temporary employees and supports thousands of jobs at refineries as well other parts of the economy that depend on having reliable fuel and energy.
The construction work to replace Line 3 will be a $2.9B private investment in the U.S., that is approximately two and a half times the size of the US Bank Stadium project. There is no taxpayer money funding the Line 3 construction project.
Line 3 Replacement project’s impact on Minnesota’s economy:
- Infrastructure Investment: Line 3 represents a $2.6 billion investment in Minnesota, this will be the largest privately financed construction project in the State’s history.
- Jobs: 8,600 quality jobs will be created over a two-year period, including 2,800 hospitality jobs, 4,200 construction jobs (half expected to be filled locally), and 1,600 jobs in other sectors.
- Long-term property tax revenue: Enbridge pays more than $30 million in Minnesota property taxes annually; this will increase incrementally by $35 million beginning the first full year of service.
- Local Economic Activity: There will be a significant boost to the economy during construction, as local hotels, restaurants, and other businesses along the route will benefit.
- Support for Minnesota refineries: Line 3 will provide an energy savings on a per-barrel basis by reducing apportionments and ensuring a reliable source of crude oil delivery.
- Enbridge expansions: What’s in it for Minnesota?
- Enbridge’s economic impact on Minnesota
- Top 10 Reasons the L3RP is vital to Minnesota and the Midwest
- New study: Economic impact of Enbridge Line 3 will be massive
- Enbridge’s $3-million Ecofootprint Grant Program to fund local environmental initiatives
The Truth about Line 3
With so much information being shared and gathered about the Line 3 replacement project, it’s important to help everyone stay focused on the facts, address any misconceptions, and make sure that information about Line 3 is grounded in truth.
Minnesotans for Line 3 has identified some common questions about the project along with information, facts, and other background that answer those important questions.